Thread Rating:
  • 10 Votes - 3.2 Average
"Making" an HDD out of a USB stick?
09-05-2013, 22:54
"Making" an HDD out of a USB stick?
Hi guys,

As far as I know it is possible to let a USB stick look like an HDD.
Meaning you plug your USB stick into your PC and Windows shows it as a local drive instead of a mass storage.
On an Internet site I read that there is a Windows command tool called diskpart which makes a USB stick bootable.
Does bootable automatically mean local drive?

I need this because my LG47LM640S television does not Support USB sticks for recording.
You Need to plugin an HDD.

Maybe I'll buy a 64 GB USB stick to put it both in my Samsung Monitor and sometimes - if it is necessary, into my LG Television to record something.
I don't want too many things - I want to Combine things and use them for different things.

Thanks for any help and sorry for some capital mistakes - some words get "corrected" automatically...
(Haven't figured out why yet.)

Cheers!

I should listen to this track every time I successfully get up Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2013, 23:52
RE: "Making" an HDD out of a USB stick?
Bootable does not automatically mean local drive, that's all I know.

Don't EVER buy a game that requires Games for Windows LIVE...
09-09-2013, 13:59
I've got a similar TV from Samsung (although slightly newer).

I just formatted my USB drive for the XFS file system. As long as the drive is fast enough (mine is a USB 3.0 flash drive) it works like a charm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
» I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. «
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2013, 22:25
Windows does not read that file system out of the box. Some TV devices check some bits of the Vendor information which can be written, probably.

DoS died on 11-11-2010.
So many nice maps, but we play Shoebox etc. -.-.
09-10-2013, 10:34
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. As stated earlier newer Samsung TVs format the USB flash drive with an XFS file system. In order to use this drive on your computer afterwards, you'd either have sort of a Unix like operating system (since there are no native drivers for Windows) or a software called UFS Explorer which is capable of working with this file system.

It doesn't matter anyway since the TV records are DRM protected by Samsung. One would have to a) access the file system in the first place (either use the software above or a random Linux distro) and b) decrypt the records (e.g. using the tool DeSTRoi or one out of various scripts available online).

This is how I pirate someone pirates TV shows on a daily basis hue hue hue.

» I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. «
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2013, 21:09 (This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 21:11 by Nightmare85.)
Thanks for your posts.

Well, I bought a 64 GB USB stick for my monitor, which was my main aim.
Recording on the television is something that I'll probably never do, so I don't care anymore^^

But there are new 64 GB sticks, for example the SanDisk Cruzader Extreme that gets detected as an HDD automatically.
(Some guy said it was because of some Win8 certification.)
However, due to its price I decided to take a cheaper one (Transcend Extreme or Ultra - forgot its real name) which is also good but gets detected as a normal mass store.

Cheers!

I should listen to this track every time I successfully get up Big Grin

» Powered by: betamaster.us «» Partner sites : vsee.us | knet.us |