Thread Rating:
  • 18 Votes - 3.06 Average
Man ordered to pay 198million or face additional 10+ years in jail
11-05-2013, 21:46
Man ordered to pay 198million or face additional 10+ years in jail
Curtis Warren: Drug dealer ordered to pay £198m

Convicted drug dealer Curtis Warren has been given 28 days to pay £198m or face a further 10 years in jail.

The 50-year-old from Liverpool was jailed for 13 years in 2009 for plotting to smuggle cannabis with a street value of £1m into Jersey.

Warren is serving his sentence in the UK but was in Jersey for a confiscation hearing at the Royal Court.

Jersey's law officers have said this is one of the largest confiscation orders ever issued in Europe.

In a statement, the Law Officers Department said it was the result of several years of "extensive investigation".

"The investigation was complex and has involved highly effective and extensive international cooperation with jurisdictions worldwide.

"The case is a further example of Jersey's strong resolve and capability to fight complex organised and financial crime."
'Cocky'

The prosecution case for the confiscation order was based partly on a covert recording of Warren in a Dutch prison in 2004.

He was heard saying: "Sometimes we'd do about £10m or £15m in a week."

Summing up for the prosecution, Solicitor General Howard Sharpe told the judge and six jurats the confiscation order was just and proportionate.

He asked after the recording was played: "Is he a serial fantasist who happens to tell people he is wealthy or a very successful cocaine dealer who can't resist telling people what he's done because he is 'cocky'?"

Mr Sharpe added: "[Warren] is a successful and sophisticated cocaine trafficker."

Advocate Stephen Baker, for Warren, argued he had no assets, saying: "He has a strong tendency to talk nonsense at times."

Mr Baker said "there is a risk of serious injustice" and urged the jurats to "put aside any preconceived notions of Warren and his reputation".

He said Warren had no assets, adding: "Whatever there was, there is nothing left."

The evidence related to cocaine trafficking between 1991-1996 which law officers argued generated "huge sums of money".

Shipments ranged from 500kg (1,100lb) to multiple-tonne consignments, according to the officers.

Tough choice in my opinion. If it's all he has, i'd take the jail sentence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
» I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. «
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2013, 01:53
RE: Man ordered to pay 198million or face additional 10+ years in jail
Now whats more important, 10 years of time that youll never get back or being broke? My choice would be obvious

--------------------------------
»Embracing Solitude

Find all posts by this user
11-06-2013, 01:59
RE: Man ordered to pay 198million or face additional 10+ years in jail
promise 50 million to anyone who gets you out... Watch as hilarity ensues

best I can do is Predat
Find all posts by this user

» Powered by: betamaster.us «» Partner sites : vsee.us | knet.us |