Thread Rating:
  • 33 Votes - 3.18 Average
Ltan's Public Teamplay Server Concept
01-11-2011, 14:41 (This post was last modified: 01-12-2011 14:04 by DeineLtan.)
Ltan's Public Teamplay Server Concept

The whole DoS server discussion is for me still intransparent and its future too unpredictable. We exchanged a few opinions and managed to destruct personal problems between each other but for the DoS server politics, I think there's still a lot to discuss.

The only thing I care about is my vCTF. I've got a feeling since longer time there's something going into a bad direction in the whole vCTF public scene.

Since I have a pretty concrete concept for a public vCTF server I decided to present it here to get substance to discuss reasonable server politics together with you.
Even if my concept will get rejected to be used for DoS, I hope it helps to create some consistent and sustainable DoS politics in the future.

My concept:

As you all might already know from lots of threads, I dont only dislike spam maps, I see a negative influence on the vCTF community of it.
I would reform internal community structures and set coordinated public server politics.

Argumentation:
Only servers with the 3 classical spam maps have still more or less always players on and those run on heavy rotation, only possibly decreased by a high map replay limit. But why and wouldn't that mean those 3 maps are clearly the best vCTF maps?
No, the majority of the decent vCTF players I know dont consider spam maps to be equal to teamplay maps like Necropolis, MegaStructure etc.

But those spam maps are small in filesize (fast download) and simple to play (small map size, wide shooting range, no secret routes, all flat BSP walls). That's what makes them attractive to noobs (+aiming-focused vCTF players). And only a server which attracts the noobs can hold a constant player amount in these days, because no one joins an empty server first ...but the noobs. Smile
Any further public server, be it with or without spam maps, has a very bad stand nowadays due to such a small total community.

Suggestion:
Any economical thinker would advice us to specialize or to fusion. And that's exactly what my plan would be. Re-organizing and coordinating the remaining public and clan vCTF servers.
I'm sure there would be more for every different gameplay fan in it if we would focuse more on the real wishes of the remaining community and onto a growing community again.

Unfortunately Common Sense:
"Growing community as goal? He's a dreamer, UT3 is dead" is what most would say, but spoken for me personally:
UT3 is more alive than any game I ever played. (Click to View)
But dont wonder if UT3 dies if we dont look after the next generation of UT3 players and if we dont put work and effort into it!

Bottom Line:
If the remaining public servers cant teach you to achieve the needed teamplay vCTF skill which allows endless long-time tournament gameplay fun with forthcoming new content, we have to change this!

And how?

• Sustainable Community - Public & Clan Scene

achievable by teaching teamplay skills and supporting tournament fun more (by maplists, as helping player ingame aswell as forum & community feedback & donations)

• Make it the best game 4 U - Attractive server content

Participate to get out more for yourself! You dont have to be mapper or invest hours of work, only know what you want and have then we coordinate what's best to do.
    Post wishes, suggest deals, be creative! If you'd say I'll donate 10€ if I get a map with my name or a tiny little pony, another 5€ if you put it a month on the server, do it!
    This is of course a silly example but I hope the direction is clear. Tongue
    Any development of new and innovative content should be more supported and the server should financiate itself by donators who feel totally satisfied for what they get for their donation and encouraged to do it more often.

My conclusion:
We're still long enough people to maintain a sain little community with clans, developpers and public players of all kinds of gameplay orientations. But once more we have to learn abot the importance of collaboration.

If the individual cells cant coordinate their growing anymore it's cancer and dies soon.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2011, 14:50 (This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 18:44 by Lilium Atratum.)
RE: Ltan's Public Teamplay Server Concept
Another suggestion: Ban Gabry. Players like him kill UT3

--------------------------------
»Embracing Solitude

Find all posts by this user
01-11-2011, 15:07 (This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 18:44 by Lilium Atratum.)
(01-11-2011 14:50)neon Wrote:  Another suggestion: Ban Gabry. Players like him kill UT3

+1

"guys like Gabry" cant be implemented in the rules, but I'm also for a admin kick advisory for players willently breaking certain vCTF codex rules several times.

01-11-2011, 16:52 (This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 18:45 by Lilium Atratum.)
(01-11-2011 14:50)neon Wrote:  Another suggestion: Ban Gabry. Players like him kill UT3

+2 Tongue

lol ltan after the first 2 sentences i stopped reading ur uber long post Tongue , i think i already know what u feel and what do u want to change in the vctf scnene

(04-09-2010 19:45)DeineLtan Wrote:  yeah, just ignore Gabry, Scoorpy and cGo, they're kind of clowns. Big Grin
01-11-2011, 17:40 (This post was last modified: 01-11-2011 18:12 by DeineLtan.)
(01-11-2011 16:52)Basher-King Wrote:  lol ltan after the first 2 sentences i stopped reading ur uber long post Tongue , i think i already know what u feel and what do u want to change in the vctf scnene

I've seperated and structured the post that even maximal erratic persons like you can flip through it, Tongue
but generally you already know my opinion from posts like the one in the pTe forum. My signature says it the shortest way:

01-11-2011, 18:50
OK. Great.
But how shall we proceed with the idea?

I've experiments to run,
There is research to be done
On the people who are
still alive...
01-12-2011, 08:51 (This post was last modified: 01-12-2011 13:57 by DeineLtan.)
(01-11-2011 18:50)Lilium Atratum Wrote:  OK. Great.
But how shall we proceed with the idea?

Well, since there's still (some people of) the DoS clan, this server's a clan server, not just community goods, so you must agree on such new politics clan-internally.

I would divide clan interests from public server interests without seperating their body. I would recommend to turn the DoS server management into a kind of donator-ruled open-source community and the server into a 6 days per week public server, the 7th day clan training/match.

Afaik, Paradox is still the financial patron of the server,
Betoneer the new clan leader of DoS. They have to decide for a best new management and the politics for their server and clan. they should elect the 2 leaderships:
  • DoS clan Leadership
    make clan politics and clan structures

• DoS public server Leadership
    make server politics and organize server content

dreaming on in my concept with seperation of powers...
  • ExecutiveThe best DoS players become, by DoS clan members elected, the DoS clan Leadership, organize the structure of the clan, politics, hierarchy and member rights, trainings, delegation of responsabilities, etc. and elect the best developpers like Lilium into a DoS public server Leadership, who is responsible for the server content & its development. They coordinate their goals together and also look after the forum and elect ingame administrators.

• Legislative
    All DoS server donators (saying from 10€ a year) get a right to vote about server content options, the new server Leadership offers. They who pay the server have the last word and control both other powers.
  • Judiciary
    All registered DoS forum members can post feedback to decisions or their execution of both clan & server leadership and can participate, hand-in wishes, concerns, etc. on the forum: Community feedback and customer requirements.

I also think this most-visited and probably most decent-made forum should turn into a general UT3 community platform for this server, containing clan-specific sections and a public vCTF board.

More players would be attracted and all remaining clans could have their section here (with CMS page, w/e), having less own administration and being closer to the players and mappers.
(Idea for the webmasters under us; none of my skills)

If we would coordinate and reorganize our forces and interests together, we'd have fast a really attractive entertainment community, presented with the right facebook groups and youtube movies without doubt potential to grow again.

Paradox proved my point (to be able to let grow within regression) already a long time ago: by stamping this forum out of nowhere and making it to the Nr.1 of all UT3 forums!
Let me prove sustainability can be achieved rather easily considered this difficult startup.

01-12-2011, 11:26
good points
only 1 thing i have too add
learn new players how too play
learn them how too do stuff
and what not too do when your in server
01-12-2011, 12:59 (This post was last modified: 01-12-2011 13:02 by DeineLtan.)
(01-12-2011 11:26)FK_nero Wrote:  good points
only 1 thing i have too add
learn new players how too play
learn them how too do stuff
and what not too do when your in server

(01-11-2011 14:41)DeineLtan Wrote:  [...]
Bottom Line:
If the remaining public servers cant teach you to achieve the needed teamplay vCTF skill which allows endless long-time tournament gameplay fun with forthcoming new content, we have to change this!
[...]

Yep, that's actually my main goal.
My 2 long posts explain the how and why's.
What did you read? Tongue

01-12-2011, 15:26
+2 to ban cheaters

(02-24-2010 21:01)Splitter Wrote:  but basher has no friends. fact.
(05-09-2010 17:42)Nightmare85 Wrote:  I hope 14 days will be enough for Basher to think about his life.
(07-04-2010 17:05)neon Wrote:  blabla nice ownage, we all hate basher Big Grin

» Powered by: betamaster.us «» Partner sites : vsee.us | knet.us |